Monday, June 14, 2010

Cold Press

I first heard about cold pressed coffee from one of my favorite joints: Dunn Brothers on 4th Ave N., in Downtown Nashville. They explained how they brew a large amount of coffee in their refrigerators cold, which reduces the bitterness in the coffee. Suffice to say, I tried it and it was indeed very good. I prefer cold coffee drinks, especially in the summer now that it is very hot.

I then spent some time searching the web on how to make it myself. There's not a lot on it, and it's easy but time consuming. I have found that it reduces the bitterness greatly, and allows for a much smoother flavor. It is much easier to drink black, if necessary, and the coffee flavors shine through much better.

Ingredients
2.5 cups coffee grounds
5 cups water

measure the coffee into a container, stir water in. Make sure it is well mixed, then refrigerate for 12 hours. Filter out using a sieve or coffee filter. This leaves a double strength concentration. I've left this in the fridge for more than a week, with no ill effect. You can then mix the water with cream and water to taste. Usually, I mix 1/2 cup of coffee 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of milk. If you want a strong mixture, mix coffee and milk to a half and half mixture.

Don't mix the milk in with the concentrate when you press the coffee, as the milk is liable to go bad. stir it in just as you would when ready to drink. Sit back on a hot summery day, sip, and relax.

1 comment: