Monday, July 12, 2010

Starbucks Cafe Via: Great but Expensive


Not many moons ago, Starbucks started marketing their own line of Instant Coffee, called Via. It is not sold in cannister, plastic jars, or small tubs, like most others are, but in small sealed packets, much like the sugar-free drink packets you drop into bottle of water.

Now, I found a way to get a free sample via the mail (pun intended), so I ordered it, and waited. I was at the grocery store not longer after, and checked it out: my eyes nearly popped out of my head: it came to about a dollar a packet. One dollar for a cup of coffee. Out-freaking-rageous.

Now, I'll go to a coffeeshop, and spend $2 for a brew, $3.50 for a espresso-based drink, or up to five dollars for a frappe of one kind or another, but I will not spend $1 for a drink I have to make myself under any circumstances. If I am going to have coffee that's a little pricier, I want it to be the highest quality, and no instant can ever do that.

That being said, I will say that it is the best instant coffee I have ever had. No question about it. When the sample came in the mail, I boiled some water, dumped it in, stirred, and tried it. I also let my wife sample it. We agreed that it is definitely the best instant coffee we've ever had. You can even taste the Starbucks roast coming through.

Now, it is still not worth the cost in my eyes. First, I am not a Starbucks aficionado. Starbucks is very bitter and more expensive than necessary. Second, it's not as good as several of the local roasters and coffeeshops. If I can support a Crema, a Billy Goat Coffee, or a Bongo Java, I would prefer to whenever I can. Third, there are so many things you can do at home to make an easy and tasty simple cup of joe.

If you're a Starbucks fan, and you're willing to put up the premium for the best instant coffee around, then Via is a good choice. I just won't be buying it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment