Thursday, November 18, 2010

Chained to a Brand 2: The Revenge



Dunkin Donuts was a great way to start my "Chained to a Brand" series: it's a national brand that's respected, and it's got a great presence in Nashville. It's roots, however, are in the Northeast. So for equal time, I thought it would be appropriate to review a dougnut chain that perhaps represents the south a little more. That gives us obvious choice: the highly regarded (if somewhat volatile) Krispy Kreme Doughnuts.

Perhaps not as well known as Dunkin Donuts for their coffees, Krispy Kreme brings a good brew to Nashville. It is such a different and strong flavor that it stands out. First thing I will say is you should not get a flavored drink. The syrups are not good, and the coffee itself enhances the wrong flavors. When I tied an iced flavored coffee, I almost could not finish. The coffee itself has a unique bite that stands out so strong that to add anything but sugar cream is just the wrong answer. It would not surpise me if some find this very pleasing and consider it to be a favorite.

Some people swear bythe doughnuts, but I am not one of them: they're just too sugary sweet for my taste, but I will admit that the coffee pairs with them very well. There are plenty of places with better coffees in Nashville, however, so I cannot recommend Krispy Kreme as the place to go for a great coffee experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment